Saunas and steam rooms offer fitness benefits. Throughout history they have been used to improve a person’s health and wellbeing. However, what exactly are the benefits of saunas and steam rooms?
- They cleanse the skin. The heat opens the pores allowing all the dirt and grease to come out. Sweating also helps flush out any toxins and the increased blood flow promotes the healing of any skin cuts, sun burn etc. This makes saunas great as part of a detoxing program.
- It decreases your chances of catching cold and flu as your increased body temperature tricks it into thinking you have a fever which in turn stimulates your internal organs, especially the immune system.
- The heart rate increases from the temperature of a sauna or steam room which can be the equivalent of doing physical activity like taking a brisk walk. They can also help with weight loss as you can burn several hundred calories per session. However, they are not replacements for actual physical activity. Combine it with a healthy regime for the full benefit.
- Steam rooms in particular are great for respiratory problems. The steam and warm air loosens all that nasty mucous from the lungs and throat, as well as relieving any inflammation and swelling.
- They can be very good for relaxing after a hard day at work, and loosening muscles after physical exercise. This makes them ideal for reducing stress and recharging the body.